A unique public-private partnership between Queens University of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County will mean easier access to tennis in a top-notch facility. The Queens Tennis Complex at Marion Diehl Park is the newest addition to the 65- acre sports facility located on Tyvola Road. The tennis complex has 13 lighted tennis courts, including a championship court that includes fixed seating for up to 200 people. The tennis courts will be ready for play in June just in time for summer.
A 6,200 square foot Tennis Center is also under construction. The Tennis Center will have a community room with a catering kitchen making it perfect for meetings and social gatherings. ADA accessibility throughout the complex allows Marion Diehl to serve as an excellent venue for Mecklenburg County Therapeutic Recreation programming. These programs are offered during the Fall season and provide tremendous support for those with disabilities. The center will also have Home and Visitor Locker Rooms. The Tennis Center is scheduled to open in April of 2018.
What’s great about this new complex is that “it makes tennis accessible to really anyone.” said Kevin Brickman, Senior Planner with the Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation, who worked on this project. “People will have the opportunity to play tennis in a first class facility without the high cost of membership dues of a private club”
The Tucker Leighton Avram Tennis Program (TLA) will also make it’s home at the new facility. TLA is an independently funded program that focuses on teaching tennis to people who are unlikely to ever be exposed to the sport. TLA was started to honor Tucker Avram, the late son of Andy Avram. Tucker had a passion for tennis and TLA is continuing Tucker’s legacy by promoting joy, accountability and self-confidence through the game of tennis. TLA provides free instruction seven days a week, year-round and is open to people of all ages. They even provide you with equipment.
The project is funded by a partnership between Mecklenburg County and Queens University. The county contributed $3.8 million and generous donors to Queens University funded the remaining $1.5 million. Queens University will have access to the Complex 40% of the time for their student athletes to train and play. The remaining 60% of time the facility will be open to the public for recreation and league play. Players seeking a more competitive challenge will be able to join one of two tennis leagues run within the tennis complex that offer a wide variety of league play options for players of all ages and abilities.
Whether you’re seeking a highly-competitive match against your peers or a more casual social experience players will find their perfect niche within the complex.
With 88 parking spaces, access to free training and 13 state-of-the-art tennis courts, everyone in Mecklenburg County can come on out and spend a day on the courts this summer.
The Queens Tennis Complex at Marion Diehl Park is located at 2219 Tyvola Road in Charlotte. Contact Nick Frontier at 704-529-3273 or Nick.Frontier@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov for tennis court information.